In preparing your child for First Holy Communion and Reconciliation, your role is the most important of all. Give your child’s first Communion top priority as will the Parish and School.
The preparation for and celebration of First Holy Communion and Reconciliation is Co-ordinated by the Parish.
The Schools and the Teachers do an excellent job in teaching the programme of Religious Education in our Catholic schools.
We hope to make the celebration of Communion and Reconciliation a happy, joyful occasion for your child, your family, the school and parish community.
- We ask that you attend the celebrations, beginning with the Enrolment which happens at Sunday Mass. There you will be asked to take seriously the responsibilities you took on when your child was Baptised.
- We ask that you attend the Parent meetings.
- We ask that you bring your child to Sunday Mass and attend the ‘Do this in Memory of Me’ Masses which are specially for the families of children preparing for First Communion.
- First Communion is celebrated at Sunday Mass normally during the month of May.
- Donation helps us cover some of the Parish preparation expenses. We ask for €10 please.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation
The children’s understanding of the Sacrament of Reconciliation is based on their experience of forgiveness at home and among their friends.
In school they discuss how friends and family love and forgive and how, despite rows etc. people can be friends again.
Likewise, God forgives us when we are sorry for not loving God and each other. God loves us always.
The children learn about Jesus the Good Shepherd, the Prodigal Son, the story of Zacchaeus the tax collector and many other Gospel stories about Jesus during the year.
In the Sacrament of Reconciliation, we say sorry for the times we didn’t live as Jesus asks, and we celebrate God’s forgiveness.
Here in the Parish, we encourage praying for the children who are preparing to receive the Sacraments of Reconciliation, First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
This is one very good way of our praying community supporting you in your role of passing on the faith to your child. This prayer support and friendship is always greatly appreciated by children and their parents.
To do this we prepare a ‘Prayer Friend Book’. We take a passport photograph of your child, then insert it on one of the pages. We use the child’s first name for this book of Prayer. This book will be carried in procession on the ‘Do this in Memory’ Sunday Masses each month.
Please choose a ‘Prayer Friend’ for your child and give that person’s name to the Sacrament Co-Ordinator who will insert it on the ‘Prayer Friend’ Book. A granny, granddad, friend or neighbour.
Points to Remember
- Registration is online. Please complete and submit the form when you receive it otherwise your child will not be registered to receive these Sacraments in the coming year.
- Baptism Certificate: We require a copy of your child’s Baptism Certificate as soon as possible following registration. We cannot administer these Sacraments without first seeing the child’s Baptism certificate. This is obtained from the Church where your child was Baptised and can be emailed to Sr. Philomena.
- Calendar of Events: Will be emailed to you.
- Enrolment Mass: During this Sunday Mass your child will be enrolled in the preparation programme for First Reconciliation and First Communion.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation will be celebrated in March / April.
- ‘Do this in Memory of Me’ Masses will be one Sunday monthly.
- Information: All further information regarding the First Holy Communion programme will be emailed to parents by the parish. Please keep us up to date with change of email address or mobile number.
To begin this process please email firstname.lastname@example.org
First Communion Calendar
Information Zoom: Thursday, 6th of October at 7.00pm.
Saturday, 15th October @ 6pm Mass in Christ the King Church
Sunday, 16th October @ 11.30am Mass in Precious Blood Church
( A choice of day will be offered on a Google form)
Wednesday 26th of October @ 2.45pm immediately after school
‘Do This In Memory of Me’ Masses
Christ the King: Saturdays @ 6pm Mass on 12th November, 3rd December, 14th January, 18th February and 18th March.
Precious Blood: Sundays @ 11.30am Mass on 13th November, 4th December, 15th January, 19th February and 19th March.
Zoom Preparation for First Reconciliation
Wednesday 15th of February @ 7pm & 7.40pm
Precious Blood: Monday 27th of February @ 7.30pm
Precious Blood: Tuesday 28th February @ 3pm
Christ the King: Wednesday 1st March @ 3pm
(A choice of date will be offered on Google Forms)
First Holy Communion
Sunday 14th May @ 11.30am
We will have a Zoom session with you prior to this date.
New Guidelines on First Communion and First Reconciliation
Please contact Sr. Philomena in relation to any queries about the First Communion and Reconciliation programmes above.