The preparation for and celebration of First Communion and Reconciliation is co-ordinated by the Parish.
The schools and teachers are a key point of contact between children, parents and parish.
The Parish will provide each child with a ‘Prayer Friend’ who will pray for your child during the year.
The Parish will also arrange the parent meetings. ‘Do this in Memory of Me’ Masses and Celebrations.
We hope to make the celebration of Communion and Reconciliation a happy, joyful occasion for your child, your family, the school and parish community.
- We ask that you attend the celebrations, beginning with the Enrolment which happens at Sunday Mass. There you will be asked to take seriously the responsibilities you took on when your child was Baptised.
- We ask that you attend the Parent meetings.
- We ask that you bring your child to Sunday Mass and attend the ‘Do this in Memory of Me’ Masses which are specially for the families of children preparing for First Communion.
- First Communion is celebrated at Sunday Mass during the month of May.
The Sacrament of Reconciliation
The children’s understanding of the Sacrament of Reconciliation is based on their experience of forgiveness at home and among their friends.
In school they discuss how friends and family love and forgive and how, despite rows etc. people can be friends again.
Likewise, God forgives us when we are sorry for not loving God and each other. God loves us always.
The children learn about Jesus the Good Shepherd and they will many Gospel stories about Jesus during the year.
Here in the Most Precious Blood Parish, our parishioners volunteer to pray for a child who is preparing to receive the Sacraments of Reconcilation, First Holy Communion and Confirmation.
This is one very good way of our praying community supporting you in your role of passing on the faith to your child. This prayer support and friendship is always greatly appreciated by children and their parents.
To do this we prepare a ‘Prayer Friend Book’. We take a passport size photograph of your child, then insert it on one of the pages. We use the child’s first name for this book of Prayer.
Consent forms will be sent home first. When the consent form is returned, the child’s photograph and first name will be inserted into the ‘Prayer Friend Book’. This book will be on a table in the Church for people to sign as a ‘Prayer Friend’ to a child. The children in this ‘Prayer Friend Book’ will be remembered during Sunday Masses.
Points to Remember
- Application Form – to be returned as soon as possible.
- Baptism Certificate We require a copy of your child’s Baptism Certificate to accompany the Application Form. You can get this in the Church where your child was Baptised.
- Enrolment Mass – during this Sunday Mass your child will be enrolled in the preparation programme for First Reconciliation and First Communion.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation will be celebrated in March.
- ‘Do this in Memory of Me’ Masses will be once a month.
- Information – all information regarding the Communion programme will be sent home through the schools.
First Communion Calendar
Thursday, 26th of September at 7.30pm in The Credo.
Sun. 20th October Enrolment Mass Parish Church 11.30am Mass
Do This In Memory Mass Sundays 11.30am
Sunday 17th Nov. Sunday 12th Jan.
Sunday 8th Dec. Sunday 9th Feb.
February Parent’s Meeting ‘Credo’ 7.30pm
Tuesday, 25th February St. Catherine’s Parish Church 7.30pm
First Communion Rehearsal
A First Communion Rehearsal for parents and their child will be held in the Church on Friday 8th May at 7.30 pm. (for St. Catherine’s, St. Finbarr’s & Casa Caterina)
First Holy Communion Sundays
Sunday, 10th May St. Catherine’s Parish Church 11.30am.
First Communion Rehearsal:
A First Communion Rehearsal for parents and their child will be held in the Church on the Friday before the child’s First Communion at 7.30pm.
Please contact Sr. Philomena in relation to any queries about the First Communion and Reconciliation programmes above.